Friday 2 January 2015

What's in my makeup bag

I assure you, my personal makeup bag is way more extensive than this! However, when I looked at the products I actually used each morning I realised that this is it! Cheap as chips or what! :O

So here goes...

My base consists of Maybelline's Better Skin Foundation in 005 Light Beige. This is actually the lightest shade I could get for my pasty complexion and it works fine in terms of thecolour. In relation to the product itself, well, I can't say you really will have 'better skin in 3 weeks' as I certainly haven't noticed this. I also find if you don't blend it in really, really well (I apply it with my hands, certainly not a technique I use on clients I might add! and 'buff' it into my skin with a foundation brush. If you don't do this you will find the product actually settles into your skin and looks awful around pores. I must admit, it's not something I would be bothered to purchase again, it was a quick purchase and the lightest colour I could manage to find. My preference would actually be No 7 Beautifully Matte Foundation, which is fantastic! Sadly the lightest shade, Calico, is just a touch too dark for me. 


On top of this foundation I tend to use Lily Lolo's Mineral Foundation in Porcelain. I just buff it on with a large kabuki brush. I love the look of this foundation. You can of course use it on it's own if you like a pretty sheer look and have great skin to warrant the sheer look! I on the other hand need the extra coverage from the liquid foundation underneath. 

Now to contour, yep, I need a bit of the ole contouring! I use Sleek's Contour Palette in Light. I have to say, I don't think this is light enough and if you're not careful you can end up looking more oompa loompa than golden goddess! If you're pasty, go lightly and blend, blend, blend!


I use the highlight shade in the middle of the palette down the center of my nose and on my eyelids and sometimes above my cheekbones. It's actually a really lovely highlighter.

Unfortunately I'm not keen on the blush shade in the palette. I think it's way too dark for a pale skin tone and has too much shimmer in it for my liking. Needless to say, this never really gets used.


My blush lately is this pretty Bella Pierre Mineral Blush in Desert Rose. It's actually a lot lighter than in the image above. It goes on as a soft coral/peach shade with a little hint of shimmer in it which is really lovely on pale skin like mine. I buff it on with a small kabuki brush.


Next I work on my brows. As you can see, this Ben Nye Brow Pencil in Taupe has been used a lot! They are quite big pencils so they last a very long time. And I love the shades they have. This Taupe shade is perfect for blondes or those with very light brown hair.


I also work some taupe/brown from Sleek's i-Divine Palette in Au Natural (above) into my brows... again, very much used as you can see from the palette image! It's a lovely shade and as it's matte it works great. This palette, I must admit, it OK. I know people rave about them but they are find for a quick touch up here and there. Really though, they aren't as pigmented as higher end brands (which is probably a no brainer) and these aren't something I would ever use on clients. For my own makeup bag though, they work OK. 



Mascara! I must admit, I got this Estee Lauder Mascara as a freebie. A brand I rarely buy (apart from their lipsticks which I love!). But this mascara is really lovely. It never looks clumpy and gives a nice amount of volume to my lashes without making them look like spiders legs.



And finally, lips! I got these pots of Calvin Klein Lip Gloss recently in TK Maxx and they are very pretty indeed! I use this Rose shade which is very sheer and adds just a small hint of colour to my lips. It feels very much like a lip balm to be honest, but it's great for daytime if you want a very natural look.

So there you have it, my personal makeup bag, compact and does the job :D



2 comments:

  1. I think the one beauty product I cannot live without would have to be mascara!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snap! Carissa 😊 that and foundation... Or brows... Ok so possibly 3 things i couldn't live without 😆 Nic x

      Delete